What is Medicaid?
Medicaid pays for health and medical care for certain groups of people who have low income. Local Departments of Social Services take applications and make eligibility decisions. The Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) pays the bills. Medicaid is not a type of insurance, though Medicaid benefits may be provided to you through a chosen primary care physician or Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). Medicaid is only available to people who fall into certain categories and who have limited finances.
Medicaid Eligibility Groups
People with low income who belong to one of the groups described below may be eligible for either full or limited Medicaid benefits.
- Pregnant women - Once eligible for Medicaid, pregnant women remain eligible throughout the pregnancy and up to 60 days after the pregnancy ends.
- Children younger than age 19.
- Pregnant women or children under 19 who are over 133% of the federal poverty level may be eligible for FAMIS.
- Children under age 21 who are in foster care or subsidized adoptions.
- Infants born to Medicaid-eligible women may remain eligible until their first birthday.
- Individuals who are 65 or older, blind or have been declared disabled by Social Security.
- Individuals residing in Long Term Care Facilities, or receiving nursing care in their homes.
There are several Medical Assistance Programs offered in Virginia. Each program covers different groups of people and each program has different eligibility requirements. When you apply for Medical Assistance, you are screened for all possible programs based on your age, income, financial resources, and other information. To be eligible for a Medical Assistance Program, you must meet the financial and non-financial eligibility conditions for that program.
Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS)
FAMIS is Virginia's program that helps families provide health insurance to their children. Health insurance is important to make sure that kids are able to get all the help they need to grow up healthy. This program is state run and can be viewed on the following website: FAMIS
To learn more about the programs offered Click Here
Eligibility & Application Process Click Here
For Medicaid Frequently Asked Questions Click Here