How to Apply
Using the WAVE - Web Application for Virginia Beach Employment - applicants will apply online via the Internet at https://www.vbcareers4gov.com. WAVE (provided by the City of Virginia Beach in association with PeopleAdmin) is available 24/7 at any computer with Internet access. Three computers will be available for use in the Human Resources Application Office for applicants needing assistance with their online application Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5p.m. The Application Office is located in the Human Resources Department at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center, Building 18-Room 106, 2424 Courthouse Drive, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456-9056. Applicants may also use the computers at any of our Virginia Beach Public Libraries. Once you submit your application you can check the status of the position by logging back into WAVE.
General Application Information
Applications are accepted for the City of Virginia Beach for positions that are currently vacant. Please note -- applications that are incomplete, received after the closing date, or that do not meet the minimum position requirements, will not be given further consideration for the position.
- Applications must be completed online and submitted by midnight on the posted closing date. Applications will not be accepted via fax or hard copy.
- It is the policy of the City of Virginia Beach that applicants and current City employees shall be afforded equal opportunity in the various aspects of personnel management without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, disabilities, sex, sexual orientation, or age.
- The City of Virginia Beach considers education and experience to be interchangeable in determining whether applicants meet minimum qualifications for positions advertised (e.g. a B.S. degree equals four years experience; a M.S. degree equals six years experience) provided the education or experience listed provides the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for that position as listed in the official job description in the Applicant Office.
- Copies of transcripts and professional certifications may be required at the time of application. Please be sure to include all related experience (including volunteer work) under employment information.
- As a condition of employment, some positions may require a medical and/or psychological evaluation. In accordance with the City of Virginia Beach Substance Abuse Policy, the medical evaluation may include drug screening.
The online application is used to obtain information about an individual's education and experience. From the submitted application, the Department of Human Resources will determine if an applicant meets the required minimum qualifications for a position and if his/her education and experience relates to the position for which the individual is applying.
It is in the applicant's best interest to complete the application thoroughly and to describe his/her qualifications in their entirety. When applying for a City position, please consider the following:
- Make note of the position for which you are applying as well as the closing date for the position.
- Review the online application and decide what information you will need to complete it. Follow all instructions carefully.
- Prior to completing the application, organize your thoughts and information. Make notes on positions you have held and on the job duties and responsibilities of those positions.
- Type the information that is requested on the application, referring to your notes or resume. Resumes may be included as supplemental information to the application. Never leave a blank space. Write 'not applicable' if necessary.
- In the Employment History section, be sure to include part-time, summer and volunteer experience.
- Organize and fill in your educational experience. Complete all information requested from all colleges or schools attended. OFFICIAL college transcripts will be required if hired.
- Fill in special skills information such as typing, as well as license, certification and registration information as appropriate Copies of licenses and certifications are required when hired.
Applications are initially reviewed by representatives of the Human Resources Department to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications for the position. It is very important for an applicant to be as specific and detailed as possible when completing the application since this is the only source of information the reviewer has. All qualified applicants will be evaluated according to their knowledge, skills and abilities relating to the specific position. The top group of candidates will be referred to the hiring department.
Interviews are generally scheduled by the hiring manager and are conducted by the supervisor of the position or by a selection panel. The time frame involved in the application review and interview process varies with each position. It may take only a few weeks or it may take four weeks or longer, in some instances, for interviews to be conducted and a job offer made. Applicants will be notified by e-mail when positions are filled.
If you are chosen for a position, you will be required to present a Social Security Card, picture I.D. and proof of your eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. We will also obtain authorization for a criminal background check and record your fingerprints.