Programs that Serve the Disconnected Youth
Seton Youth Shelters is the primary resource in Hampton Roads for and about teenagers ages 9-18. It is done through a continuum of services ranging from preventive “Life Strategies” coaching to temporary shelters to outreach to kids living on the street. Eventually, Seton Youth Shelters will be instrumental in breaking the cycle of dysfunctional families. Contact at (757) 498-HELP (4357); 3333 Virginia Beach Boulevard, Suite 28, Virginia Beach, VA 23452.
- Safe Place 24-hour Hotline for homeless and runaway youth: (757) 498-HELP (4357)
- 24-hour emergency shelter for youth ages 9 to 18 years: program serves runaway/homeless youth and youth in crisis within their family, school and/or community. Seton Youth Shelters operates two shelters in Virginia Beach, one for boys (498-4673) and the other for girls (306-1840).
- Street Outreach Programs assist youth up to the age of 21 years old. Services offered include:
- Weekly Youth Street Outreach Center (affectionately known as “The Crow’s Nest”). Each week, staff and volunteers open the 2nd story doors of “The Potter’s House” on Tuesday from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Van Outreach Program travels throughout Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Portsmouth, accessing 335 square miles of South Hampton Roads. The program is a mobile unit equipped with two-person teams, offering the same services as the Youth Street Outreach Center.
- The Special Outreach Projects generally addresses focused, short-term activities and services to high-risk youth.
- StandUp for Kids – Hampton Roads: All-volunteer program providing assistance to disconnected youth in the community. To volunteer, e-mail HamptonRoads@standupforkids.org.
- ForKids: A unique Continuum of Services to meet the wide spectrum of need found in homeless families. Programs are focused on developing self-sufficiency through case management, counseling, life skills education, children’s services, mental and physical health care services, transportation, and childcare. The Children’s Services program targets the intellectual, emotional, social, and developmental well-being of children, with the goal of preparing them for success in school and independent futures. Contact at 622-6400; 4200 Colley Ave., Suite A, PO Box 6044, Norfolk, VA 23508.