Notice of Funding Availability
Applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012
The City of Virginia Beach Department of Housing & Neighborhood Preservation (DHNP) is making available $980,403 for eligible activities and $76,253 for administrative costs, totaling $1,056,656 for the 2013 Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) funds. Availability of funding under this notice is contingent upon an actual allocation that has not yet been received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Adjustments to the amounts available will be made at the time official funding availability has been confirmed. This may affect awards made under this notice.
The HOPWA funds may be used to assist all forms of housing designed to prevent homelessness including emergency housing, shared housing arrangements, apartments, single room occupancy (SRO) dwellings, and community residences. The following activities may be carried out with HOPWA funds:
- Housing information services;
- Resource identification to establish, coordinate and develop housing assistance resources for eligible persons;
- Acquisition, rehabilitation, conversion, lease, and repair of facilities to provide housing and services;
- New construction (for SRO dwellings and community residences only);
- Project or tenant-based rental assistance, including assistance for shared housing arrangements;
- Short-term rent, mortgage, and utility payments to prevent the homelessness of the tenant or mortgagor of a dwelling;
- Supportive services;
- Operating costs for housing;
- Technical assistance in establishing and operating a community residence;
- Permanent housing placement to assist beneficiaries receiving rental assistance with the security deposits, first month’s rent and utility hook-up costs; and
- No more than 7% of the amounts received may be used for administrative costs.
Eligible applicants must be a nonprofit (including faith-based organizations) or governmental housing agency currently receiving HOPWA funding through DHNP and/or Ryan White funding serving homeless individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS in any of these localities: Chesapeake, Gloucester, Hampton, Isle of Wight, James City, Mathews, Norfolk, Newport News, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Surry, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, York, and Currituck County, North Carolina.
The HOPWA application manual and program guide for federal fiscal year 2013 can be found under "Related Information."