The Workforce Housing Ordinance establishes a Workforce Housing Advisory Board. There will be at least 10 members on the board, with said members being appointed by City Council.
Membership shall consist of the following:
Two members, both of whom shall have extensive experience in practice in the City of Virginia Beach, shall be either land planners or civil engineers or architects licensed by the Virginia Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers and Landscape Architects;
- One member shall be a real estate salesperson or broker licensed by the Virginia Real Estate Board;
One member shall be a representative of a lending institution that finances residential development in the City of Virginia Beach;
One member shall be a member of the City Council;
One member shall be a builder with extensive experience in the construction of single-family detached and attached dwelling units;
- One member shall be a builder with extensive experience in the construction of multiple-family dwelling units;
- One member shall be a current employee of the Department of Public Works or Department of Planning;
- One member shall be a representative of a nonprofit housing organization which provides services in the City of Virginia Beach; and
- The remaining members shall be citizens of the city.
The duties of the board are as follows:
Make recommendations to the City Council concerning the sales and rental prices of workforce housing units;
Advise the City Council on all aspects of the city’s Workforce Housing Program, including recommendations for modifications of the requirements of the program; and
Report annually to the City Council on the production of workforce housing units, participation in the Workforce Housing Program, and achievement of program goals.
To view the list of current board members, click here
Workforce Housing Advisory Board Minutes