Minimum Application Requirements:
(1) Must be 18 years old by first day of training program
(2) Must have high school diploma or GED at time of application
(3) Must have a valid United States driver's license at time of application
(4) Must be eligible to work in the United States at time of application
Additional Process Requirements:
(1) Must attend one VST Information Meeting
(2) Must be able to lift, bend, and walk while carrying a minimum of 60 lbs (Physical Ability Assessment will be conducted at VST Information Meeting);
(3) Must pass polygraph exam and review; federal background check and review, and DMV driving record(s) check and review;
(4) Must comply with Fire Department's minimum disqualifiers
(5) Must pass Safety Sensitivity Physical conducted by City's Occupational Health Division
(6) Must attend all scheduled training*.
*NOTE: Must attend all weekend classes scheduled at the Fire & EMS Training Center, 927 S. Birdneck Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23456. Classes will include physical fitness activity, classroom instruction, and practical exercise.
(1) Successfully complete the Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC)
(2) Maintain current CPR and Basic First Aid certifications
(3) Volunteer a minimum of 36 hours per month (this may include training and meetings)
(4) Adhere to uniform and grooming guidelines for VSTs.