The Chesapeake Beach Volunteer Fire department was formed in
1938 by “Buddy” Griffith.
The first truck was a 1 ton Chevrolet chassis with a skid mounted pump mounted
on the rear. The truck would pull a trailer with a water tank. The State
Corporation Commission issued their charter in 1942. Just
after the department formed, the fire department moved out of the wooden garage
and occupied an old gas station on Pleasure House
Road owned by Cliff Marois. In the late forties, a two bay station was
built on Lake Drive
near the current Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel toll plaza is located. This building was adjacent to the building occupied by the
Chesapeake Beach Men’s Club and the Chesapeake Beach Women’s Club.
The second fire truck was a 1938 GMC
Pumper with a 500 gpm Hale pump and a 900 gallon tank. This truck was to be the
only pumper in the area with tandem axles. It was labeled the “turtle” because
it was so slow. It ran as the attack pumper and could even move across the
sandy beaches along the Chesapeake Bay. A 1954 GMC Pumper purchased by the Civil Defense Department and the first meeting of the Chesapeake Beach Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary was held on January 27, 1959. Seven ladies were present at that meeting and their purpose was to assist the firemen in any way possible, to co-sponsor fund raising with the department, and in general, for the betterment, improvement and service of the Fire Department. The Ladies Auxiliary came to be very involved with the community and numerous functions were conducted.
In December of 1961, plans for a new fire station were drawn up. The present station was being moved because it was right in the path of the planned Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. The 140 million dollar bridge tunnel project spanned 23 miles across the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and connected Virginia Beach with the Eastern Shore.
Construction lasted many years and the members of the Chesapeake Beach Fire and
Rescue responded to many calls for assistance on the bridge during
The new fire station broke ground in January of 1962, and the members themselves helped build the station during evenings and weekends with the assistance of contractors. The men removed the blocks from the old station and sold them to raise money for the new building. The Ladies Auxiliary would prepare meals for the firemen whilethey worked. It took eight months to build the three bay station. In July of 1968, two more bays were added to the existing station.
In 1965 a new Mack Pumper was purchased by the Bayside Borough Fire Protection Association.In the fall of 1972, paid firefighters were assigned to Company 4.
In 1986 a new 55 foot Grumman Telesquirt was delivered and today, three firefighters and a captain provide twenty four hour fire protection to the surrounding communities of Chesapeake Beach.In 2003 this truck was refurbished and repainted with department colors of white over red.