The City's emergency management system is outlined in the State Code and within Local Ordinance. The City Manager is the Director of Emergency Management and the Fire Chief is designated as the Coordinator of Emergency Management. Day-to-day operations and activities are coordinated by the Deputy Coordinator of Emergency Management.
- To provide staff support to the City Manager, Emergency Services Coordinator, and city departments during events in which the emergency management organization is involved.
- To foster and encourage emergency planning and the development of operating plans, annexes, and procedures for the City.
- To advocate programs that mitigate against the impacts and consequence of disasters.
- To coordinate the response to large scale emergencies requiring the activation of the City's Emergency Management System and Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- To coordinate issues and foster planning associated with recovery activities after the disaster.
- To ensure that the City regularly exercises their response to disasters and receives the proper training to better prepare for disasters.
- To provide and support the dissemination of emergency public information to foster the community's awareness and preparedness.
- To maintain liaison and relationships with local, regional, state, and federal allied agencies that deal with emergencies.
- To work with the Virginia Beach Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) to meet legal mandates.