The Virginia Beach Department of EMS Lifeguard Services Division staffs the Sandbridge and Little Island beaches. These areas are equipped with the following equipment.
At least one rescue floatation device (RFD) for each lifeguard on duty Mask(s) and snorkel(s) readily accessible to mount an underwater search and rescue, as appropriate
Binoculars readily accessible in the beach area, as well as in each main tower and emergency vehicle
Marker buoy(s) readily accessible for submerged victim search and rescue swim fins for rescue purposes readily accessible to lifeguards as appropriate according to local conditions
ATV for rapid response Personal Watercraft Rescue Boats
- A first aid kit adequate to treat minor injuries at each staffed lifeguard post
- A first aid kit adequate to treat both minor and major medical emergencies at each beach area
Equipment to protect against bloodborne pathogens consistent with OSHA requirements
- Spinal stabilization equipment, including spineboard, head and neck immobilization devices, and fastening devices readily accessible at each beach area
- Oxygen readily accessible at each beach area of any agency with personnel trained in its use, as allowed by local protocol
- A cardiac defibrillator (or defibrillators) is readily accessible at each staffed beach area, with personnel trained in its use.
- Equipment for lifeguards to communicate with the public at a distance (ex: whistles, megaphone(s), air horn(s), etc.)
- Equipment for lifeguard to lifeguard communication
- Equipment for lifeguards to immediately activate emergency medical services (EMS) transport unit