The Department of Communications and Information Technology (ComIT) provides
and supports communications, information, and technology solutions to enable city businesses, inform the community, improve and promote quality of life and public safety.
ComIT's Strategic Vision:
ComIT is an organization committed to proactively delivering a dynamic and evolving set of core services and innovative technologies that the city and its constituents demand. ComIT achieves and maintains high standards in the following areas:
- Business and IT Alignment - Working with public and private partners to make investments in information technology that provide long-term benefits and add value to our community.
- Information Accessibility - Using technology to make city data readily available to enhance government decision-making and simplify delivery of services to our citizens.
- Openness and Transparency - Providing our constituents with simple and open access to city services and information.
- Civic Participation - Leveraging technology to meet the growing demand among our citizens for participatory and collaborative government.
- Operational Efficiency – Enabling mobile workforce accessibility to high-quality, digital government information in order to provide services anywhere, anytime, on any device.
- Quality Workforce –Developing highly skilled, innovative, motivated, responsive, and collaborative implementers and maintainers of quality technology solutions.
- IT Security – Protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of IT applications, systems, infrastructure and data.
IT Operating Principles:
- Support the City's Strategy - Initiatives and projected benefits will be linked to the city's desired strategic outcomes and the initiatives established by the Strategic Initiatives Teams and the Strategic Coordinating Group.
- Customer Service Oriented - ComIT will be proactive and prevent problems, while focusing on engaging and understanding the needs of departments, and support them to provide an optimal experience for citizens, businesses and visitors.
- Engage in Systems Thinking - Understanding interrelatedness between processes and technologies will guide our planning, problem-solving, decision-making, and resourcing actions to enable innovation.
- Achieve Multiple Positive Outcomes - ComIT will seek to provide solutions that benefit multiple constituents in timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Create an Accurate, Positive Community Image - ComIT will create a positive perception of the department through consistently positive experiences and quality services.
- Create Relationships and Partnerships - ComIT will build positive internal and external relationships and encourage collaboration.
- Ensure Sustainability - ComIT will treat all city assets entrusted to us as if they were our own, and evaluate all new and existing goals, plans, policies, programs, and activities in the context of sustainability.
Applications and Business Systems Lifecycle Management
Application Design and Development
System and Application Integration
Applications and Business Systems Testing
Data and Information Management
Applications and Business Systems Engineering
Quality Assurance and Management (systems & applications)
|Center for Geo-spatial
|GIS Base Mapping Production|
GIS Base Mapping Layers & Standard Map Products
GIS Project Management
GIS Enterprise Governance Coordination
GIS Web Services
Intranet/Internet GIS Sites
GIS Web Hardware and Software
GIS Layers for Web Use
Host GIS Information on Relational Database Mgt. System
|City/School Printing Services
Multifunction Printer Operation and Support
|Enabling and Maintaining Security Policy|
Information Security Monitoring
Compliance, Accreditations and Auditing Support
Threat Response & Mitigation
Training and Education
||Internal/External Communication Planning and Support|
Municipal Cable Television Programming and Operation
Public Meeting Coverage
Graphic Design Services
Website Content Development and Management
Social Media Content Development and Management
Marketing and Publicity
||Computing Hardware Installation and Support|
Email and Enterprise Communications Support
Packaging and Deploying Software
Engineering Analysis, Design and Ongoing Support
Antivirus and Firewall Protection
Distributed Printing Services
Tier 1 Problem Resolution
Data Center Operations
|Project Management and Support|
Project Portfolio Management
ComIT Capital Improvement Program (CIT/CIP) Mgt. & Support
Resource Planning and Workload Planning for Projects
|Technology Service Center
||First Responders for Technology Incidents|
Service Desk Technical Support
Change/Release Management Support
Department of Communications & Information Technology (ComIT)
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Virginia Beach Municipal Center, Bldg. 2
2405 Courthouse Drive, Suite B10
Virginia Beach, VA 23456