The strategy and direction for Virginia Beach's official government website, VBgov.com, is managed by the Department of Communications & Information Technology (ComIT). Each individual city department/agency, however, is responsible for managing and maintaining their specific content on the site.
The latest version of VBgov.com (launched September 9, 2011) reflects a design and functionality that is based on direct feedback and requests from users, as well as the city’s desire to implement technology improvements to meet the changing needs of customers.
New Site Features and Enhancements:
* An interactive calendar of events that can be filtered based on the user’s preferences
* A media center containing video and photo galleries (new items will be added continually)
* Mobile accessibility that is compatible across all major smartphone formats
* A visually appealing design that highlights our beautiful city through the use of imagery
* An interactive Map Center featuring layering capability and an improved graphic interface
* A dynamic “headlines” section on the home page that features upcoming events, timely news and information, and highlights various city programs and services
* A design that is compatible with multiple browsers on multiple platforms
* An improved search with auto-suggestions as you type - the search results can be filtered by content type (web page, video, document type, news release, etc.) and date (from the past 24 hours to up to one year)
* A separate Services Search allows users to narrow their search to online and offline city programs and services
Site navigation with hover functionality to get users to content more quickly and easily (less clicks)
* A Community Connect section with links to the city’s various social networking sites and real-time Twitter feed
Another new feature that is sure to resonate with users is the ability to share the site’s content via a wide selection of social networking platforms. Every page within VBgov contains a “share” button that includes more than 60 social media sites on which you can share the page information - from Facebook to LinkedIn to Digg it. Now users are just a click away from sharing content with friends and family.
As technology and users’ needs continue to evolve, so too will VBgov.com. The site will continue to improve and remain a valuable resource for citizens, visitors and businesses alike. An updated look, featuring a new “VB” icon; easier navigation and usability; integrated social platforms; and user requested features such as an interactive calendar and accessibility across multiple browsers and mobile devices combine to make VBgov.com a more functional tool for citizens. As always, user feedback and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated and can be submitted to WebForms@vbgov.com.