In property crimes such as burglary, larceny and auto theft, money or valuables are stolen from a home or person. Financial losses may be tough to recover or trace and a victim's safety is violated. Review the tips below to help prevent yourself from being a victim of property crimes.
Safety in the Home
- Always keep doors and windows locks
- If you are away, set timed lights and have a neighbor pick up your mail
- Illuminate your doorways and walkways
- Make sure your house number is visible from the street
"Operation Lookout" Expanded
Seniors ago 50+ residing in Virginia Beach can have a peephole installed by the Virginia Beach Police Department Crime Prevention Unit for FREE! Call 757-375-1068 or 757-385-1006 if interested.
Safety When Driving or Out
- Lock car doors; roll up windows
- Look into your car before getting inside it; check your surroundings
- Carry no more cash or credit cards than you need