Delinquent Collection Procedures
Continued delinquency for any outstanding tax* or monies due the City will require the Treasurer to initiate one or more of the forced collection procedures listed below:
- Enrollment in the DMV Vehicle Registration Withholding Program (VRWP), which will require payment of all delinquent taxes prior to renewing your state registration.
- Issuance of a Tax Lien against your salary or bank account.
- Seizure and Sale of your personal property.
- A Judgment rendered against you in General District Court and recorded against your credit.
- Attachment of your Virginia State Tax Refund or Lottery Winnings.
Any delinquent action taken will result in an incremental administrative fee being applied, in addition to a possible DMV Stop Fee being assessed.
*Delinquent Real Estate taxes are excluded from this section, as they have there own policies and procedures. See the bottom portion of the Real Estate
section under Taxes and Other Collections.