The City of Virginia Beach exists to enhance the economic, educational, social, and physical quality of the community and provide sustainable municipal services which are valued by its citizens.
Our organization is based upon a belief in the democratic process of government. This belief provides meaningful ways for citizens, representing the diversity of our community, to contribute to the development of public policy. This process is enhanced by our organizational values which guide our performance. The values define our desired organizational culture and quality of work life.
QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE: Service to customers is the fundamental reason the City of Virginia Beach Municipal Government exists.
- Customers define quality service.
- Members are committed to quality service delivery.
- Service exceeds customer expectations.
- Customer feedback is sought and valued.
TEAMWORK: Organizational goals are attained when members and customers work together.
- Team members share opportunity, knowledge and accountability.
- Team members develop mutual trust and respect.
- Team members participate in collaborative decision-making.
- Team members value diversity.
LEADERSHIP AND LEARNING: Learning at every level of the organization creates opportunities for leadership experience and for members to continuously expand our capacity to create a quality organization.
- Products, services, and technologies are enhanced through creativity and innovation.
- An environment is created where members, regardless of our place in the organization, learn together.
- Members are engaged in new and expansive patterns of thinking.
INTEGRITY: Integrity creates the trust essential to Quality Service and long-term personal and organizational growth.
- Members have the courage to examine personal paradigms about roles and how excellence is achieved.
- Members are entrusted with the stewardship of public resources.
- Members fulfill commitments to Quality Service by treating customers and each other fairly.
- Members tell the truth.
COMMITMENT: Commitment is the necessary mechanism enabling members to focus our behavior on attaining organizational goals.
- Members have the opportunity to convert jobs from ordinary assignments to extraordinary experiences.
- Members participate in decision-making and accept responsibility for outcomes.
- Public service professionalism is demonstrated by each member's performance, accountability, and work ethic.
INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY: Members value and respect our similarities and differences to encourage and fully utilize our human potential, and to foster a culture of openness, engagement and respect for all.
- Member diversity helps ensure quality service delivery.
- An inclusive environment allows all members to contribute to the success of our organization and to express ourselves openly and with respect.
- Members understand and appreciate varying perspectives, experiences and cultures.
- Members listen to understand each other.
- Member feedback is sought and valued.
The City’s Organizational Values were developed in 1999 and were modified in 2010 to adopt the Inclusion and Diversity Value.